It’s soup weather and this lemon ginger turmeric chicken and rice soup is a great way to brighten your day! This soup is easy to make, light, healthy and just packed with flavour! The chicken and rice form the base of the soup, along with plenty of vegetables, onions, celery and carrots! The flavours and aromatics are built up with garlic, ginger, rosemary, thyme, turmeric and lemon in addition to cayenne for some warmth! This soup is the perfect comfort food for cold winter days and it’s amazing on hot summer days, and everything in between!
Lemon Ginger Turmeric Chicken and Rice Soup
A light, healthy and tasty chicken and rice soup with lemon, ginger, garlic, turmeric and cayenne!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, grated/minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated/minced
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup jasmine rice (or other long grained rice)
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken thighs (or breasts)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the onion, celery and carrots and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, rosemary, thyme, turmeric, and cayenne, and cook, mixing, until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, rice and chicken, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is just tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, slice (or shred) and mix back into the soup.
- Add the lemon juice and parsley, season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Option: Use cooked chicken instead of raw chicken!
Option: Add 2 tablespoons tahini at the end. (Mix it into 1/4 of broth from the soup before mixing it back into the soup.)
Option: Add 1 tablespoon white miso paste at the end. (Mix it into 1/4 of broth from the soup before mixing it back into the soup.)
Chicken and Rice Soup with Crispy Garlic Butter
Creamy Mushroom Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Avgolemono Soup (aka Greek Lemon Chicken Soup)
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup
Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
Tom Yum Gai (Thai Hot and Sour Chicken Soup)
Spicy Roasted Corn and Jalapeno Avocado Soup
Colombian Chicken and Corn Soup (Ajiaco)
Chicken Fajita Soup
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Pozole Verde de Pollo (Green Mexican Hominy and Chicken Soup)
Oyakodon (Japanese Chicken and Egg Rice Bowl)
Egg Drop Soup
Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
Chicken Tortellini Soup
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Beef and Barley Soup
Italian Sausage Stuffed Pepper Soup
Just made this soup today. One word…awesome! So full of flavor and super healthy!
This one is a keeper!
This is a delicious and easy recipe that I will keep making! So wonderful on a cold, wet January night!
Tamara De Vere says
Made this tonight. The flavor was wonderful! My entire family liked the soup. There are several others I can’t wait to try.
D Chapel says
The ultimate comfort food on a blustery winter day! I will definitely keep this one in our rotation! So good for the body and soul!
WOWOWOWOW This was soooo gooooood! Very nice depth of flavor. I wasn’t sure from the recipe if I was supposed to use fresh or dried herbs and tumeric, so I did fresh and it turned out great. After sitting a bit, it turns into a yummy porridge type consistency. A big keeper for me.