Pizza is one of my all time favourite foods and although the dough takes some time, making your own pizza at home is pretty easy! There are a lot of different varieties of pizza, with one of the classic ones being the pan pizza! Pan pizza is typically made in a cast iron pan which is generously coated in oil before adding the dough so that the bottom of the crust bakes up nice and golden brown and crispy. The crust is a thicker crust which is light, soft and chewy with lots of air pockets. You can top the pizza however you want with the standard being a pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese.
The dough for this recipe is a yeast based dough that requires some rise time, but it’s as easy to make as mixing all of the ingredients before letting it rest and rise. I like to cover the dough in a layer of cheese before topping it with the pizza sauce to help prevent the top of the dough from getting soggy. I also like to make sure that I place cheese right up to, and including, the edge between the dough and the pan so that some of the cheese melts down the edge and bakes up nice and golden brown and crispy! I tend to use a little less pizza sauce for pan pizzas that regular pizza which is dolloped onto the first layer of cheese before adding the second layer of cheese and any toppings. The pizza only takes a few minutes to bake and it should come out of the oven perfectly done and ready to eat. Given that one of the best part of this pizza is that the bottom is golden brown and crispy, you can lift to see if it is; if it’s not golden brown when it comes out of the oven you can transfer the pan to the stovetop and cook it for a few more minutes to get it perfect!
A homemade pan pizza with a thick and chewy dough and a crispy golden brown crust, all topped off with plenty of melted cheese and your favourite pizza toppings!
- 2 1/3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon active yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 2 ounces pepperoni, sliced (optional)
For the dough:
For the pizza:
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl until just mixed, cover, and let sit, in the fridge, for 8-16 hours. (Note: It is a wetter dough.)
- Spread the oil over the bottom of a large (12 inch) cast iron skillet (or heavy bottomed pan), transfer the dough to the pan and spread it over the bottom, by pressing it out with your fingers, before letting it sit for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese over the dough, making sure to cover the edges so that the cheese melts down around the crust on the side of the pan.
- Sprinkle the pizza sauce over the cheese, followed by the remaining cheese and the pepperoni (or your favourite pizza toppings).
- Bake in a preheated 500F/260C oven, on the bottom shelf, until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling, about 10-15 minutes.
- Check the bottom, by lifting up the edge with a knife or a spatula, and if it’s not a deep golden brown and crispy, transfer to the stove and cook until the bottom is crispy!
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan and transfer to a cutting board before slicing and enjoying!
For the dough:
For the pizza:
Option: Garnish with 1 pinch red pepper flakes!
Option: Garnish with 1 tablespoon parmesan!
Option: Garnish with torn fresh basil!
Option: Use your favourite pizza toppings!
Crispy Tortilla Skillet Pizza
Stuffed Crust Pizza Dip
Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese
Chipotle BBQ Bacon and Grilled Corn Zucchini Crust Pizza
Pizza Quesadillas (aka Pizzadillas)
No Crust Pepperoni Pizza
Deep Dish Pizza
Chicago Style Thin Crust Pizza