I like to have a number of recipes on hand to enjoy while watching a game and this queso beef and bean chili is a star on that list! The idea here is the combination of two different recipes, a beef and bean chili and a queso (cheese dip/sauce), where the result is a cheesy beef chili! Yum! The recipe is exactly as it sounds starting with a chili recipe where cream cheese and cheddar cheese are melted into it at the end! It takes almost no time to make so you can easily whip it up before watching the game and it tastes even better the next day, so make it a day ahead of time! Serve with your favourite chili toppings, along with tortilla chips for scooping!
I like to season this chili with the combination of ancho chili powder, chipotle chili powder, cumin and paprika but you could easily replace them with your favourite chili powder blend!
Queso Beef and Bean Chili
A quick and easy beef and bean chili with plenty of cheese melted into the sauce!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder (or chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or chili powder)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) diced green chilies (optional)
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (or black beans or pinto beans)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (and/or monterey jack), shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the beef and onion in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, before optionally draining off any grease.*
- Add the garlic, ancho chili powder, chipotle chili powder, cumin and paprika, mix, and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, green chiles, beans, oregano, and worcestershire sauce, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add the cream cheese and cheddar cheese, mix and let the cheese melt in!
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Note: *When using a fattier ground beef I cook the beef first, drain the grease, and then add the onions to cook. When using leaner beef I cook the onions with the beef to save time.
Note: Feel free to add water or beef broth if you want it more brothy.
Note: You can simmer for longer if you wish.
Note: Any leftovers are better the next day!
Option: Add 2 tablespoons tomato paste with the garlic.
Option: Add 2 teaspoons soy sauce along with the worcestershire sauce.
Option: Add hot sauce.
Option: Add bacon!
Option: Serve with your favourite chili toppings such as: cheese, sour cream, green onions, cilantro, avocado, tortilla chips, etc.!
Easy Beef and Bean Chili
Chili Mac and Cheese
Buffalo Chicken Chili
Quinoa White Chicken Chili
Pumpkin and White Bean Turkey Chili with Kale and Pepita Salsa
Slow Braised Chili Con Carne
Squash Chili Mole
White Chicken Chili
7 Chili Chili
Black Bean and Quinoa Chili
Chili Cheese Dip
One-pan Cheesy Beefy Pasta
Jamaican Jerk Beef and Bean Chili
Breakfast Queso Fundido
Roasted Corn Queso Fundido
Chorizo Queso Fundido