I’m a fan of taco night tacos, ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning in tortillas, and the flavours work well in pasta or gnocchi form! This taco gnocchi is basically all of the ingredients of taco night tacos in one dish with gnocchi instead to taco shells. Gnocchi are small potato dumplings that are pillowy soft and they only take few minutes to cook, about as long as this recipe takes to make. It’s as simple to make this dish as cooking the beef, throwing everything together and topping it with melted cheese. The final taco touch is garnishing with taco fillings such as: sliced avocado, cilantro, lime, sour cream, crumbled tortilla, chips, etc.
Taco Beef Gnocchi
A quick and easy taco beef and gnocchi meal that’s a great alternative for taco night!
- 1 pound potato gnocchi (gluten-free for gluten-free)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning *
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes ** (or 2 cups salsa)
- 1 cup water (or beef broth)
- 1 (15 ounce can) black beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 1 cup cheese (cheddar and/or monterey jack, mozzarella, etc.), shredded
- Start cooking the gnocchi as directed on the package.***
- Cook the beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking the beef apart as it cooks, until cooked through, about 10 minutes, before draining off any excess grease.
- Add the taco seasoning and garlic, mix, and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, water, and beans, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked gnocchi, mix, top with the cheese and let the cheese melt before enjoying!
Option: ** Fire roasted tomatoes add a smokiness!
Option: When I use a salsa instead of the tomatoes I like a chunky salsa for the texture of the large pieces of tomatoes!
Note: *** Gnocchi are potato dumplings and they come in a few different forms; you can find them in the pasta aisle in a vacuum sealed package, in the freezer or in the fresh pasta section. Generally it’s boiled in water until it floats and then, optionally, you can fry it in oil or butter until it gets crispy on the outside before using it. I like to fry it in bacon grease!
Option: Add more veggies, such as diced bell peppers!
Option: Serve garnished with your favourite taco toppings such as: sour cream, cheese, cilantro, lime, avocado, etc.
Bacon Cheeseburger Gnocchi
Cauliflower Gnocchi in Asiago Mushroom and Spinach Sauce
Chicken Gnocchi in a Creamy Lemon and Caper Sauce
Mozzarella Baked Gnocchi Bolognese
Meat Lovers Pizza Gnocchi
Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
Gnocchi Poutine with Short Rib Ragu
Taco Seasoned Ground Beef
One-pan Cheesy Beefy Pasta
Mexican Stuffed Peppers
Cheesy Taco Pasta
Taco Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Cheesy Beef Enchilada Tortellini Skillet
Crunch Wrap Supreme