Chicken noodle soup is one of my all time favourites and this cajun inspired alternative is even better than the original! This recipe starts out by searing some cajun seasoned chicken before cooking the veggies. Normally chicken noodle soup uses the classic combination of onion, celery and carrot and this recipe takes the cajun influenced onion, celery, and bell pepper combo! The soup is seasoned with more cajun seasoning, garlic, and thyme, before adding the broth, tomatoes, and pasta (noodles) and cooking until the pasta is done. Although you could skip the cream, I like the creamy version of this soup with a hit of tasty parmesan cheese and the soup is finished off with fresh parsley and green onions! Any way you make it this cajun creamy parmesan chicken noodle soup is all sorts of tasty good!
Creamy Parmesan Cajun Chicken Pasta Soup
A tasty chicken noodle (pasta) soup with a cajun seasoned creamy parmesan broth!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces of pasta (such as ditalini or shells)
- 1/2 cup heavy/whipping cream (optional)
- 1/3 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped (optional)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
- cayenne, salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the chicken, seasoned with cajun seasoning, and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side, before setting aside.
- Melt the butter in the same saucepan before adding the onion, celery and bell pepper and cooking until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, and cajun seasoning, and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the broth, chicken, diced tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, and pasta, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the paste is al-dente tender, about 7 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, slice or shred it and return it to the pot.
- Turn off the heat, add the cream and parmesan, mix and let the cheese melt into the broth.
- Add the lemon juice, parsley and green onions, and season with cayenne, salt and pepper to taste before enjoying!
Option: Add 1 teaspoon old bay seasoning.
Option: Add 4 ounces cream cheese, warmed, along with the parmesan.
Option: Add 8 ounces andouille sausage, sliced and browned.
Option: Add 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled.
Cajun White Chicken Chili
Creole Split Pea Soup
Cajun Sweet Potato Seafood Chowder
Shrimp Creole Soup with Bacon and Cheddar Dumplings
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup
Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Butter Chicken Noodle Soup
Colombian Chicken and Corn Soup (Ajiaco)
Chicken Fajita Soup
Creamy White Chicken Chili
Pozole Verde de Pollo (Green Mexican Hominy and Chicken Soup)
Creamy Mushroom Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
Lemon Ginger Turmeric Chicken and Rice Soup
Chicken and Rice Soup with Crispy Garlic Butter
Chicken Bacon Ranch Noodle Soup
Chicken and Rice Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup