This cauliflower, broccoli and cheese soup is one of my all time favourites; pure comfort food in a bowl. It’s super easy to make, only requiring one pot, and it takes very little time! The stars of the show are the cauliflower and broccoli and you can use either fresh or frozen. The base of the soup starts with the usually soup veggies: onions carrot and celery, and it’s seasoned simply with garlic, thyme, dijon mustard and a pinch of nutmeg. The cauliflower and broccoli are simmered in broth until tender and then they can be left as bite sized pieces, or they can be mashed partially, or you can completely puree until smooth! (I like all options and alternate between them!) Once everything is cooked, the cream and cheese is added and when the cheese has melted it’s ready to enjoy! This soup stores well in the fridge or freezer and it reheats well, just don’t bring it to a boil when reheating to prevent the cheese from clumping.
Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese Soup
A quick and easy soup with cauliflower and broccoli along with plenty of cheese!
- 1 tablespoon butter (or oil)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced (optional)
- 1 cup celery, diced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 pound (~3-4 cups) cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 pound (~3-4 cups) broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups sharp/old/aged cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onions, carrots, and celery, and cook until tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme, mix, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, cauliflower, and broccoli, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and mash, or puree, to get the desired consistency.
- Add the dijon mustard, nutmeg, cream, and cheese and cook (without bringing to a boil) until the cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Option: Use your favourite cheese!
Option: Add 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan cheese), grated.
Option: Add hot sauce or cayenne to taste!
Roasted Cauliflower and Aged White Cheddar Soup
Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
Creamy Mushroom and Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Roasted Cauliflower and Red Pepper Soup
Roasted Cauliflower and Poblano Pepper Soup
Ale and Cheddar Soup
Bacon Double Cheeseburger Soup
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower Soup with Goat Cheese
Ham and Bean Soup
Split Pea Soup
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Creamy Roasted Asparagus and Brie Cauliflower Soup
Creamy Curried Coconut Carrot Soup
Creamy Maple Brie and Cheddar Apple Soup
Asiago Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Soup
Roasted Carrot and Tahini Soup with Pomegranate and Pistachios
Cold Cucumber Soup
Rosemary and Roasted Garlic White Bean Soup
Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
Leave a Reply