I had been craving some Texmex flavours for a while and in particular, fajitas were calling my name. The only trouble was that it was below freezing outside and everything had been covered in a foot of snow. Not to worry though as my trusty grill pan came to the rescue! The idea behind fajitas is pretty simple being grilled meat, most often beef or chicken, served in a tortilla. I most commonly associate caramelized onions and multi coloured peppers with fajitas and from there you can pretty much go with whatever you want from salsas, to guacamole, to cheese, to sour cream etc. I like to keep the meat simple and I marinate it in some lime juice, chili powder, cumin, oregano and garlic. In addition to using the marinade to season the meat, the onions and peppers also benefit from the additional flavours of the marinade making the fajitas even tastier.
- 1 pound chicken breasts (cut into thin slices)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 lime (~2 tablespoons of juice and zest)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin (toasted and ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions (sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
- 8 tortillas
- Marinate the chicken in the oil, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper in the fridge for 30 minutes to a few hours.
- Grill the chicken over medium-high heat until cooked, about 2-3 minutes per side. (Reserve the marinade.)
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Saute the onions until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the peppers and the remaining marinade and saute until the peppers are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in the cilantro.
- Assemble fajitas and enjoy.
Chicken Fajita Quesadillas
Chipotle Grilled Chicken and Mango Guacamole Wraps
Tequila Lime Grilled Chicken
BBQ Chicken with Blue Cheese Slaw Wraps
Chicken Souvlaki and Gyros
Taco Lime Grilled Chicken
Chicken Fajita Pasta
Chicken Fajita Soup
Baked Chicken Santa Fe
Sheet Pan Shrimp Fajitas
Baked Chicken Enchilada Casserole